There has been a dental surgery at Alvington House since 1896. Initially this was as both a home and surgery for a single dentist seeing private patients. Since then it has gradually expanded and to become a large, predominantly private, dental practice. It has always remained a family orientated practice seeing generations of patients from Bury and the surrounding area.
The Georgian house dates back to the middle of the 18th century. The general internal outline has remained fundamentally the same. The practice utilises the ground and first floor for its nine surgeries and central sterilisation room.
Initially as a single handed practice the surgery expanded after the Second World War with the advent of the NHS and by the 1970’s there were four dentists working at Alvington House. By 1990 it had become a seven handed dental practice which it has remained until today. In 2001 the practice changed to become a predominantly private family orientated practice providing modern dentistry to the people of Suffolk and beyond.